As part of our regular run of artist curated podcasts Paul Rosenfeld from Two Lost Souls introduces tracks from the new album “Cords and Digits” and his previous collaborations with Ian Moss.
In between there favourite tracks chosen by Paul and Ian including music from Amos Milburn, Nirvana (the 60s band) , Sister Sledge, Pixies, Tom Waits, David Bowie, Bobby Gentry, Pere Ubu, Nigger Kojak, Elvis Costello, Lucinda Williams, Misletoe, Don Thomas, Madonna, Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell, Simon Dupree & The Big Sound, James Brown, and Earth Wind and Fire.
The Two Lost Souls album is released on 22nd November 2019.
Weimar follow up their critically acclaimed debut single “John Doe/Curse the Songs” with a new double A-side single, “Marvel to the State/Undesirable Master”, released on Friday 22nd November. Both the new songs feature the guest vocals of Rose Niland, singer with Rose & the Diamond Hand as well as Poppycock.
As well as being released digitally on German Shepherd Records, you can pre-order a CD version from the bands website.
Both songs are accompanied by promo videos directed by Nikos Pavlou. Stunning cover art is from Brian Gorman.
Stylistically, both new songs are significantly different from Weimar’s previous single. “Marvel To The State” – written as a celebration of female figures throughout history who have stood up in the face of oppressive politics – is a duet between Weimar’s frontman Aidan Cross and Rose Niland, set to a jazz-funk inspired backing. Rose co-stars in the video.
“Undesirable Master”, meanwhile, is a romantic torch song with an ethereal backing vocal from Niland. The video guest stars screen thespian Indigo Azidahaka, also vocalist with Granola Suicide.
The group play The Globe, Glossop on November 30th with Adventures of Salvador.
As we near the end of a very busy 2019 we up the stakes with three great releases for November 22nd
WEIMAR – MARVEL TO THE STATE/ UNDESIRABLE MASTER
Manchester band Weimar,
a four-piece Art Rock outfit, follow up their critically acclaimed debut single “John Doe/Curse the Songs” (released back in February 2019) with a new double A-side single, “Marvel to the State/Undesirable Master”. Both the new songs feature the guest vocals of Rose Niland
, singer with Rose & the Diamond Hand as well as Poppycock. The single will be released digitally on German Shepherd Records, and on CD via Weimar’s own label Marlene’s Hat. MORE DETAILS NEXT WEEK.
Adventures of Salvador and Weimar
30 November 2019
The Globe, 144 High St W,
LINKS AND CONTACT
ELECTRIC CHEESE – ELECTRIC CHEESE
After a long break and several line-up changes Chorley’s finest purveyors of cheesy comestible rock return with a four track self-titled EP.
The trio deliver sleazy rock n roll from the southern swamps of central Lancashire.
Formed in March 2014 originally with bassist Tom and drummer Matt. Since their departure in 2016 new members Al Superstar Green and Allan ‘Cheddar’ Tanner joined Jason Gorgonzola Hurley to form the new Electric Cheese. Since Al Green’s departure his spot has been filled by Mike ‘Mozarella’ Carling.
A tight power trio with killer riffs banging out some swampy rock n roll tunes with a wry sense of humour this release is a remarkabke follow up their excellent debut Lactose Intolerant
Here’s a recent set from the band including tracks from the new EP
TWO LOST SOULS – CORDS AND DIGITS
Two Lost Souls and Ian Moss and Paul Rosenfeld. Originally working together as part of Moss’s Music and Words Project
, with Rosenfeld under his Foghorn Leghorn pseudonym, the pair have more recently appeared as Mistletoe with the single “Borderline Racist”
. This newly christened project combines Rosenfeld’s memorable guitar playing with Moss’s bitter sweet observations. A real departure from Moss’s more punk orientated style this set of songs sets a whole new musical canvass. With some of Moss’s more memorable lyrics captured in a different context we have a refreshing and thought provoking new listening experience. Rosenfeld is a consummate writer deriving tones and structures from the rich history of guitar music. Support on bass is provided by Andy Drysdale, Renato Larossi, and Paul O’Sullivan. Long time Moss fans will be intrigued by this new direction.
- Ian Moss’s book “100 Unhip Albums” can be ordered now from Empire Publications
- Last week we released a one off Bandcamp only release from Staggs called “The Eton Mess”
- FORTHCOMING GIGS IN NOVEMBER
- The Harveys and Four Candles 14 Nov 2019 Castle Hotel, 66 Oldham St, Manchester M4 1LE, UK
- Inferior Complex 14 Nov 2019 The Joiners, 141 St Mary St, Southampton SO14 1NS, UK
- Ian Moss Book Launch 14 Nov 2019 The Peer Hat, 14-16 Faraday St, Manchester M1 1BE, UK
- Ember Rev 15 Nov 2019 The Fiddler’s Elbow – Music Venue, 1 Malden Rd, Belsize Park, London NW5 3HS, UK
- Inferior Complex 16 Nov 2019 The Railway Inn, 3 St Paul’s Hill, Winchester SO22 5AE, UK
- The Get and Toska Wilde 16 Nov 2019 The Riviera Hotel & Holiday Apartments, 14-16 Burnaby Rd, Bournemouth BH4 8JF, UK
- La Capsula (Mark and Luisa from Elastikbande) 21 Nov 2019 The Peer Hat, 14-16 Faraday St, Manchester M1 1BE, UK
- Angry 21 Nov 2019 The Edge Bar & Kitchen, 6-8 High Pavement, 1EA, Town Square, Basildon SS14 1EA, UK
- The Junta 22 Nov 2019 Barrow Underground Music Society
- The Junta 23 Nov 2019 Lions Den Manchester, 253 Deansgate, Mews, Manchester M3 4EN, UK
- Inferior Complex 24 Nov 2019 Lord Nelson Poole, Poole BH15 1BQ, UK
- Manchester Meltdown 2019 – Four Candles, The E-Fits and Matthew Hopkins 30 Nov 2019 The Peer Hat, 14-16 Faraday St, Manchester M1 1BE, UK
We have three releases scheduled for the 15th November….
THE GET – LET’S RAISE A GLASS FOR CHRISTMAS
The Get are back with an antidote to the usual Christmas tunes with a sardonic and perceptive take on the festivities.Wrapped in a parcel of pop punk sound the quartet deliver a pungent message for those who want an alternative to Noddy and his granny.
The band are playing The Riviera in Bournemouth on 16th November along with our very own Toska Wilde.
The Get will follow this single with a new EP in January 2020 called “Genre Reassignment”.
AUSTER BOYS – LET’S GET LOST
The two Bob’s are back with a lengthy single comprising three parts. Describing, in their usual flâneur fashion, current food obsessions, pricey beer, and strange geological formations, all taking place in Sheringham. Clerkenwell and Amsterdam – the ghost of Chet Baker hovers around and the eternal question as to who invented smashed avocado on sourdough is put to the listener. Wry observations on trends, outsider music and other perplexing 21st century behaviour. Time slips between the past and present.
POSITRONIK – DON’T COME CRYING TO ME
A new seven track remix mini-album from Manchester’s soul-pop sensations.
- Songwriter Jeff “Captain” Black creates a new version of their classic track “Don’t Come Crying” and also does a remix
- Electro wizard Jed provides two dancefloor friendly mixes
- Cambridge pop masters Lizard Brain apply a deft touch
- The Junta embargoes the tune with techno beats
- Space Museum turns the song inside out to create something totally new
In addition to the above we have a packed schedule of activities over the next two weeks…..
- The Parish Church Fire – 6 Nov 2019 – Retro Bar, 78 Sackville St, Manchester M1 3NJ, UK
- The Harveys Release Frank Got Married/Shadow of the Wind – 8 Nov 2019
- The Harveys and Four Candles – 14 Nov 2019 – Castle Hotel, 66 Oldham St, Manchester M4 1LE, UK
- Ian Moss Book Launch – 14 Nov 2019 – The Peer Hat, 14-16 Faraday St, Manchester M1 1BE, UK
- Ember Rev – 15 Nov 2019 – The Fiddler’s Elbow – Music Venue, 1 Malden Rd, Belsize Park, London NW5 3HS, UK
- Inferior Complex – 16 Nov 2019 – The Railway Inn, 3 St Paul’s Hill, Winchester SO22 5AE, UK
- The Get and Toska Wilde – 16 Nov 2019 – The Riviera Hotel & Holiday Apartments, 14-16 Burnaby Rd, Bournemouth BH4 8JF, UK
- Angry – 21 Nov 2019 – The Edge Bar & Kitchen, 6-8 High Pavement, 1EA, Town Square, Basildon SS14 1EA, UK
- La Capsula (Mark and Luisa from Elastikbande) – 21 Nov 2019 – The Peer Hat, 14-16 Faraday St, Manchester M1 1BE, UK
Our charity album for 2019 will be launched on 13th December and features a bunch of new tunes, new mixes and other variants from our artists….all proceeds will be going to Manchester Mind Charity.
This weeks sees the release of the sixth and final track in a run of singles from musical brothers Ian and Neil Moss.
With a widely eclectic mix of styles and sounds the siblings have created a mind expanding variety of music which challenges the preconceptions and boundaries of our fractured culture.
The latest, “Total Freakout” is perhaps the most accessible of the set with a nod to 60s psychedelia albeit seen through the purple-tinted glasses of East Manchester……
Here is the complete set – they are also available on Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, Google Play and all of the other digital services