June 5th 2020 will see the release of two brand new EPs from Moongoose in a new partnership with German Shepherd Records. Distributed via AWAL the EPs will be available on all of the usual streaming and download sites, as well as the German Shepherd Bandcamp Page. German Shepherd Subscribers will also receive an additional two tracks not on the EPs but recorded as part of the same sessions. Limited Edition CDs of these releases will be available from the Moongoose Official Website.
Any monies accrued from downloads or streaming of these releases will be donated to Shelter charity for the homeless.
Entitled “Yellow” and “Black” the EPs each have four tracks of Moongoose’s trademark evocative instrumental music which is reminiscent of movie soundtracks, highly appropriate given the subjects of the releases.
The YELLOW EP is a tribute to all of the magnificent directors and composers of the Italian Giallo films from the 1970’s. Films such as SUSPIRIA, LIZARD IN A WOMANS SKIN, YOUR VICE IS A LOCKED ROOM AND ONLY I HAVE THE KEY, THE BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE, ETC. Directors such as Dario Argento, Lucio Fulci, Mario Bava, Sergio Martini, ETC Composers such as Ennio Morricone, GOBLIN, Claudio Simonetti, ETC. The Giallo films were mysteries/thrillers/horror films that usually placed an innocent in danger from a knife-wielding assailant. Full of terror and suspense, they usually had groundbreaking visuals and stunning soundtracks.
The BLACK EP is a tribute the wonderfully atmospheric and very bleak American Film Noir Movies of the 1940’s and 1950’s Films such as DOUBLE INDEMNITY, IN A LONELY PLACE, KISS OF DEATH, THE BRIDE WORE BLACK, SUNSET BOULEVARD, ETC. Directors such as ALFRED HITCHCOCK, ROBERT SIODMAK, FRITZ LANG, ORSON WELLES, ETC Composers such as BERNARD HERRMANN, MIKLOS ROSZA, MAX STEINER, ETC. The American Film Noir movies were mysteries/thrillers/spy films that usually dealt with corruption, double-dealing and murder. The movies main features are the striking lighting design and weird camera angles.
Established in 1999 by YORKIE, former bassist and producer for platinum selling indie giants SPACE, and producer of Liverpool legends SHACK’s last album ‘…the corner of Miles & Gil’ (for Noel Gallagher’s SOURMASH label).
He has also produced many other bands, most notably SEVEN SEALS, IVAN CAMPO and WINDMILL. MOONGOOSE have released five singles, three ep’s and four albums to date. The main core of MOONGOOSE is:
- YORKIE (THE DANCE PARTY, EGYPT FOR NOW, THE BALCONY, SPACE, WINDMILL)
- PAUL CAVANAGH (THE BALCONY, THE ROOM, GLOSS, CABIN IN THE WOODS, THE ROOM IN THE WOOD)
- MARK JORDAN (VIDEOS: DEREK JARMAN, THE ROOM IN THE WOOD, ATV)
Along their journey they have been joined by various special guests, such as:
- ANDY DIAGRAM – THE DIAGRAM BROTHERS, JAMES, DAVID THOMAS & TWO PALE BOYS, SPACEHEADS.
- PETE WYLIE – THE MIGHTY WAH!
- IAIN TEMPLETON – SHACK
- VICKY EDWARDS – THE AEROPLANES, THE JOHN HEAD BAND
- CARL HUNTER & STEVE GRIMES – THE FARM
- DOMENICO CIRILLO – OTHER VOICES
The band has also had the great fortune of working with a number of artists, photographers and writers to bring their projects to life, including:
- FRANCESCO MELLINA – Photography for ‘SILHOUETTES AND SHADOWS’
- DAVID Mc CLEISH – Photography for ‘FOOTPRINTS’
- DAVE JACKSON (THE ROOM, BENNY PROFANE, THE CATHEDRAL MOUNTAINEERS, THE ROOM IN THE WOOD) – Sleeve notes for ‘ORGANIC TECHNOLOGY’
- IAN PYPER – (CODEX OCULARIS) – Artwork for ‘MISSIVES FROM THE MEMORY MACHINE’
- JEFF YOUNG (QUADROPHENIA – The theatre production) – Sleeve notes for ‘MISSIVES FROM THE MEMORY MACHINE’
- HIRO MONSTERA – Photography for ‘SLEEP TO DISAPPEAR’, ‘BEDROOM CITY’ & ‘TOKYO GLOW’
On their last album, ‘TOKYO GLOW’, MOONGOOSE complete their sci-fi trilogy and ruminations on the encroachment and reliance of technology on modern life, with a look at Japan and its many wonders and pitfalls. As usual, it was totally instrumental and impressionistic, and blended modern recording techniques with traditional instruments and approaches to recording.