Moongoose was established in 1999 by YORKIE, former bassist and producer for platinum selling indie giants SPACE, and producer of Liverpool legends SHACK’s last album ‘…the corner of Miles & Gil’ (for Noel Gallagher’s SOURMASH label).
He has also produced many other bands, most notably SEVEN SEALS, IVAN CAMPO and WINDMILL. MOONGOOSE have released five singles, three ep’s and four albums to date. The main core of MOONGOOSE is:
- YORKIE (THE DANCE PARTY, EGYPT FOR NOW, THE BALCONY, SPACE, WINDMILL)
- PAUL CAVANAGH (THE BALCONY, THE ROOM, GLOSS, CABIN IN THE WOODS, THE ROOM IN THE WOOD)
- MARK JORDAN (VIDEOS: DEREK JARMAN, THE ROOM IN THE WOOD, ATV)
Along their journey they have been joined by various special guests, such as:
- ANDY DIAGRAM – THE DIAGRAM BROTHERS, JAMES, DAVID THOMAS & TWO PALE BOYS, SPACEHEADS.
- PETE WYLIE – THE MIGHTY WAH!
- IAIN TEMPLETON – SHACK
- VICKY EDWARDS – THE AEROPLANES, THE JOHN HEAD BAND
- CARL HUNTER & STEVE GRIMES – THE FARM
- DOMENICO CIRILLO – OTHER VOICES
The band has also had the great fortune of working with a number of artists, photographers and writers to bring their projects to life, including:
- FRANCESCO MELLINA – Photography for ‘SILHOUETTES AND SHADOWS’
- DAVID Mc CLEISH – Photography for ‘FOOTPRINTS’
- DAVE JACKSON (THE ROOM, BENNY PROFANE, THE CATHEDRAL MOUNTAINEERS, THE ROOM IN THE WOOD) – Sleeve notes for ‘ORGANIC TECHNOLOGY’
- IAN PYPER – (CODEX OCULARIS) – Artwork for ‘MISSIVES FROM THE MEMORY MACHINE’
- JEFF YOUNG (QUADROPHENIA – The theatre production) – Sleeve notes for ‘MISSIVES FROM THE MEMORY MACHINE’
- HIRO MONSTERA – Photography for ‘SLEEP TO DISAPPEAR’, ‘BEDROOM CITY’ & ‘TOKYO GLOW’
On their last album, ‘TOKYO GLOW’, MOONGOOSE complete their sci-fi trilogy and ruminations on the encroachment and reliance of technology on modern life, with a look at Japan and its many wonders and pitfalls. As usual, it was totally instrumental and impressionistic, and blended modern recording techniques with traditional instruments and approaches to recording.
Moongoose started working with German Shepherd in Spring 2020 with the release of two EPs Yellow and Black arriving on 5th June 2020. Income from both EPs will be donated to Shelter.
A detailed article on the releases and other Moongoose work was published in July 2020 by Sun 13.