Weimar follow up their critically acclaimed debut single “John Doe/Curse the Songs” with a new double A-side single, “Marvel to the State/Undesirable Master”, released on Friday 22nd November. Both the new songs feature the guest vocals of Rose Niland, singer with Rose & the Diamond Hand as well as Poppycock.
As well as being released digitally on German Shepherd Records, you can pre-order a CD version from the bands website.
Both songs are accompanied by promo videos directed by Nikos Pavlou. Stunning cover art is from Brian Gorman.
Stylistically, both new songs are significantly different from Weimar’s previous single. “Marvel To The State” – written as a celebration of female figures throughout history who have stood up in the face of oppressive politics – is a duet between Weimar’s frontman Aidan Cross and Rose Niland, set to a jazz-funk inspired backing. Rose co-stars in the video.
“Undesirable Master”, meanwhile, is a romantic torch song with an ethereal backing vocal from Niland. The video guest stars screen thespian Indigo Azidahaka, also vocalist with Granola Suicide.
The group play The Globe, Glossop on November 30th with Adventures of Salvador.
Lots of news to share with you this time around
IAN AND NEIL MOSS
The Moss Brothers have a new single out on August 23rd called The Perfect Spy, the fourth in a series of new releases, with a least one more planned for this year. Ian is the lead singer in Four Candles and Unseasonal Beasts and Neil of course is famed for his involvement in The Frantic Elevators. The latest offering is in a similar vein to the last few singles with the younger brother delivering his usual stream of consciousness lyrics over Neil’s angular and complex musical bed. This is unique music which defies comparison.
Fuel Cafe Bar in south Manchester features a drummerless line-up on September 28th with the full live debut of Moet & Ding’s Unseasonal Beasts, ably supported by The Ombudsmen, Vice Vera (the new solo project of TamsinA of Liines) and Rickerly. It’s only £4 and it should be a good night in a very compact and groovy venue.
Talking of The Ombudmen we had a great time at Ed Blaney’s YERRRR Bar in Manchester last Saturday night with great performances by the aforementioned trio, Elastikbande, Adventures of Salvador and Four Candles. Videos of two of those bands are now available with a Four Candles show reel in production at the moment. Many thanks to Ed for providing an excellent performance space for the city
The Ombudsmen – Sputum
Elastikbande – Vacuum Cleaner
GET YR SWEAT ON!
Umbrella Assassins have released a new video for the latest single “Sweat It Out” it features The Dodo Freaks (we’re not sure who they are but we are going with the flow). The band are playing two acoustic sets at this years Oxjam in Cambridge as well as Haverhill Rugfest (see listings below)
MY SHADOW WALKED AWAY
In anticipation of the release of a brand new EP on September 27th called “In And Of Itself” sycloner have released a video of a great track from their Lost and Found EP.
NEW KIT B LINE-UP
Following from the recent release of a compilation of Singles and Obscure B Sides we are pleased to let you know that KIT B have a new line-up. Mainstays Danny Cusick (Guitar, Vocals) and John Montague (Bass) are joined by new recruits Martin Botham on drums and Mark Hayward on guitar. The long awaited return to the live stage happens on October 5th when they support Blackpool post-punk legends Vee VV at Dulcimer in Manchester.
DID YOU MISS A RELEASE?
If you did not catch some of our recent releases here is a handy list check out our Bandcamp Page!
- Adventures of Salvador – Welcome To Our Village (Album) Digital, CD and Vinyl
- Auster Boys – Reversing Into The Holocene (EP) Digital
- The Screaming Love Collective – Do What You Love (Album) Digital
- Four Candles – Nettle Rash (Album) CD and Digital (Limited Stock Left in the Bandcamp Store)
- Crab Dance GIs – The Latest Record (Single) Best Crabs (EP) Digital
- KIT B – Singles and Obscure B Sides (Album) Digital – Spotify, Apple, Google etc not on Bandcamp
- Mark Corrin – Pub Bin (Album) Digital
All our forthcoming gigs are now listed in a handy guide on the right hand side of this page but here’s a handy list of our August activities
- Angry 15 Aug 2019 Essex Arms, 10 Warley Hill, Warley, Brentwood CM14 5HA, UK
- Dominic Carlton Jones on Chris Perry’s In The Spotlight Show on Salford City Radio 15 Aug 2019
- Keltrix 16 Aug 2019 The Green Man, 59 High St, Grantchester, Cambridge CB3 9NF, UK
- RELEASES – ANGRY! : NOT OK 16 Aug 2019
- Black Limousine and Bobbie Peru 16 Aug 2019 The Peer Hat, 14-16 Faraday St, Manchester M1 1BE, UK
- RELEASES – Ian and Neil Moss “The Perfect Spy”
- Umbrella Assassins play Rugfest and Oxjam Cambridge 24 Aug 2019 Haverhill Rugby Football Club, School Ln, Haverhill CB9 9DE, UK
- Umbrella Assassins play acoustic set at Rugfest 25 Aug 2019 Haverhill Rugby Football Club, School Ln, Haverhill CB9 9DE, UK
- End of the Week Show on Sheppey FN features Toska Wilde and Brucie Bitch 25 Aug 2019 Sheppey FM, Sheppey Community Media Centre, Sheerness ME12 1HH, UK
Toska Wilde 25 Aug 2019 The Centre, Margate CT9, UK
- Weimar at Glaston-Bury (3:20pm) 26 Aug 2019 Venue Bar & Club, Silver Street, Bury BL9 0DH – Adventures of Salvador,and Pearl Divers also playing
- Dominic Carlton Jones 29 Aug 2019 The Peer Hat, 14-16 Faraday St, Manchester M1 1BE, UK
- The Mind Sweepers 31 Aug 2019 Queen of the South Bar, 8-10 Nith Pl, Dumfries DG1 2PN, UK
- Mark Corrin at Alt Night 31 Aug 2019 The Whip & Kitten, 8 – 12 Burnley Rd, Rawtenstall, Rossendale BB4 8EW, UK
Lizard Brain have launched a video for the recent single “Don’t Even Blink (deregulated mix)”. The single is available from our Bandcamp Page as well as all the usual streaming sites.
The Junta presented a revised version of “Ergonomic” featuring some of the elements used by the Space Museum remix of the track at The Peer Hat gig on July 31st. Here it is captured in stunning “Juntavision”.