Hello and welcome to another edition of the German Shepherd Newsletter….
This week ….
KELTRIX – NAKED
We are pleased to announce the release of a brand new album from Cambridge based folk/electro act Keltrix. However, for this album, the electro part of the sound has been put aside to reveal the duo’s folk roots. Taking the best of the previous albums and adding two new tracks from the next album “Herstory” Sharon and Keri have stripped things back to just voice, guitar and violin to create a stunning collection of songs. Recorded at Sharon Sullivans home studio this is the Keltrix sound stripped bare – hence the album’s title “Naked”
Released digitally on June 8th via Bandcamp, Spotify, ITunes, Apple Music and many more digital outlets this is a chance to hear Keltrix as you have never heard them before. In addition, we are making available via our Bandcamp Merch Page a limited edition CD of the album.
Keri (singer/songwriter) and Sharon (violinist/producer) first met when performing with Dj’s and Live PA’s at dance music club nights back in the late 90’s. It wasn’t until several years later, however, that Keri formed the original Keltrix, an alt/folk/rock band that Sharon soon joined. After several years, two albums and a certain amount of success, a continuing love of 90’s rave and trip-hop, along with the desire to progress musically, meant it was time to change direction. The 2015 double album Between Storms (band)/Beyond Storms (electro) was the turning point and Keltrix has been a live electro act ever since. Last years 4th album “Bobby Says” was a critical success.
Naked is a release which bridges the previous album “Bobby Says” and the planned new one “Herstory”. It is an acoustic album in a step away from the electronic direction Keltrix have followed of late. It contains two brand new tracks, both of which will be on the next album, albeit in a slightly different form. The rest of the selections are Keri and Sharon’s favourites from previous albums – the greatest hits of Keltrix. After ten years of constant recording and gigging Keltrix are taking a breather with a quieter year concentrating on the development and recording of the next album.
The album will be launched at the Corner House in Cambridge on 15th June – Featuring live acoustic music with special guests Heather McVey and Emily Fraser, and glamorous assistance and spanking sets from DJ Cabbage. Merch will be on sale including limited edition ‘Naked’ Albums plus T-Shirts & Vests. It’s £5 entry. Doors 8.30pm Live music from 9pm.
You can hear an interview with Keri and Sharon below
- Keri Kel – Songwriter, Vocals, Guitar,
- Sharon Sullivan – String Arrangements, Violin, Backing Vocals
- Recorded and Produced by Sharon Sullivan
- Logo and Artwork by QxDesign
RECENT REVIEWS OF KELTRIX
The “Bobby Says” album succeeds magnificently in its attempts to pull together several strands and in doing so create a sound that, if not unique is certainly rare, engaging and very rewarding.- Dave Hammond, Sounds
In a show of brilliant variety – and one of the most striking acts I have seen for a long time – Keltrix were last up on the bill. They are an award-winning trio infusing electro folk with acoustic instrumentation, almost grungy, gutsy vocals and spiralling soundscapes. This is folk music with a fiery, flighty sense to it, and I was quickly entranced. – Emliy Oldfield, Louder Than War
The Set times have been announced for the Manchester Meltdown event at the Peer Hat, Manchester on June 23rd. There has been a lot of interest shown in the event so we recommend either purchasing an early bird ticket from behind the bar at the venue, or registering for a ticket
Early purchase gets you the discounted price of £7.50 – the cost will be £9 on the day. The venue capacity is limited to 150.
Here are the set times:….
- 2-45 – 3-25 Monkeys in Love
- 3-45 – 4-25 Flea
- 4-45 – 5-25 Diagonal Science
- 5-45 – 6-00 Susan and Matt (Factory Acts)
- 6-30 – 7-10 Four Candles
- 7-30 – 8-10. Drink and Drive
- 8-30 – 9-10 The Empty Page
- 9-30 -10-10 Bobbie Peru
- 10-30 – 11-10 The Sandells
The Prick Jaggers will make a short appearance sometime during the day and Stephen Doyle of Salford City Radio will be spinning the tunes throughout the day between the sets.
BOUQUET OF DEAD CROWS MINI-TOUR
Following the release of the single “Bunched Up Bradley” Bouquet of Dead Crows are stepping outside of Cambridge for three dates…..
- 9th June – Manchester AATMA with Goldblume and The Junta
- 10 June – Newcastle Bar Loco with Goldblume and The Junta
- 21st June – Bedford Esquires – supporting Sunlight for Honey (free entry)
The band will be back in Cambridgeshire on July 28th for the Pim Jam festival in Haverhill
OTHER UPCOMING GIGS FEATURING OUR ARTISTS
- 1st June – Inferior Complex are supporting the Chameleons Vox at the Joiners in Southampton as part of their 35th-anniversary tour
- 2nd June – The Strays play The Station Hotel, Ashton U Lyne
- 2nd June – The Scissors and Keltrix play Rebel Arts Stage, Strawberry Fair, Cambridge
- 3rd June – The Mind Sweepers play The Lantern, Dumfries
- 6th June – The Junta plays Chancers Cabaret, Carlton Club, Whalley Range, Manchester
- 7th June – The Mind Sweepers are playing Rabbies Tavern at Eden Festival.
- 9th June – Poppycock play The Mechanics Centre, Manchester
- 9th June – Toska Wilde and JD Meatyard play 101 Social Club, Margate
- 9th June -Inferior Complex play the Bandstand, Eastleigh
- 15h June – Keltrix launch their new album at The Corner House, Cambridge,
- 23rd June – Manchester Meltdown Summer All Day Special – see details above
- 30th June – The Scissors play Knackfest, Karma Farm, Isleham Fen
- 7th July – Toska Wilde plays SAKS, Southend on Sea as part of Cult 13
- 21st July – Mesmer Disciples play Alston Festival
- 28th July – Drink and Drive play Peer Hat, Manchester
- 15th September – The Scissors and Charlie Marshall play The Cornerhouse, Cambridge
- 15th September – Drink and Drive play Agueda, Portugal
- 21st September – Four Candles, Poppycock and Charlie Marshall play The Peer Hat, Manchester
RELEASES IN THE PIPELINE
- 15/06/2018 Loop -Aznavour – When Casios Walked The Earth – New EP from the Adventures of Salvador singer
- 15/06/2018 The Junta – All Roads – A new single featuring first time vocals from The Junta
- 15/06/2018 Pearl Divers -The Past Aint Made To Last – digital re-release of the EP
- 22/06/2018 Four Candles-Strange Things- the first of three singles featuring new recordings
- 29/06/2018 The Colourful Disease – Economics – Moff Skellington and Ian “Moet” Moss are back with some new material under a new name.
- 06/07/2018 Auster Boys with Moet – Unnatural Appetites – A new collaboration between Northampton’s finest and Mr Moss
- 13/07/2018 m.t. scott – Seven Country Ballads – a new EP from the mercurial Mr Scott
Our releases in April and May of this year are listed below – please see our Bandcamp page to have a listen or check them out on ITunes, Spotify, Amazon, Play Music, Napster, Medianet, 7 digital, Rdio, Deezer, zvook, Slacker Radio, Nokia, eMusic, 24/7, Shazam, akazoo, asprio, kkbox, and saavn.
- 13/04/2018 Mistletoe-We See
- 20/04/2018 Mesmer Disciples-The Big O
- 20/04/2018 Kit B – Real Voodoo
- 27/04/2018 Moff Skellington – Bargains Are A Hollow Syrup
- 27/04/2018 The Strays – Richard Dreyfuss
- 04/05/2018 Inferior Complex – Science
- 04/05/2018 Toska Wilde with Brucie Bitch – T Gurl
- 04/05/2018 The Junta vs Loop-Aznavour – Welcome To My Village
- 11/05/2018 Keltrix – Long Long Way
- 18/05/2018 Øre – This Island Earth
- 18/05/2018 Bouquet of Dead Crows- Bunched Up Bradley
- 25/05/2018 Moff Skellington – Fetch
- 01/06/2018 Auster Boys – Insomnia